Swimmers to Face Strong Springfield Tonight at 8:00

By Thomas Linden

The unbeaten varsity swimming team faces "almost sure defeat" in four events and close finishes in three others, according to coach Hal Ulen, when the Crimson travels to Springfield today for an 8 p.m. meet.

"Springfield is the most star-studded team we've come up against so far," Ulen said. "Thus meet and the one at Princeton will be our toughest before Yale."

"Springfield is the most star-studded team we've come up against so far," Ulen said, "This meet and the one at Princeton will be our toughest before Yale."

Ulen's fears are based on three Springfield aces, who may force the Crimson coach to tip his hand. One Gymnast, Jack Mayers, seems assured of two first places. He has swam the second fastest 120-yard individual medley in the country this year, 1:00.1. The Crimson's Dave Hawkins is not expected to match this.

Since Mayers also owns a 2:18 clocking in the 200-yard backstroke, he should be unbeatable in this event also. Alan Rapperport of the varsity has not been able to work his time below 2:23.2.

Art Semie, who swam New England's fastest orthodox breaststroke this season in 2:29.6, should beat the Crimson record holder, Sigo Falk, Falk's best time to date is 2:24.8.

Springfield is expected to take a fourth first with Joe Ferrier in the dive.

The Gymnasts are also strong in the 440 free style. Their captain, Bruce Hutchinson, has covered this distance in 4:49 and can probably can trim this to 4:45 in his own pool. Andy Schennheiter is close behind him with a five minute clocking, still better than any Crimson time so far.

Hutchinston and Schemheiter have set times of 2:12 and 2:17 respectively in the 220, but the varsity can top these if Jim Jogenson and Captain Ted Whatley duplicate their peak performances to date. And Jim Clarke may force a repeat of the Crimson's best sprinting effort if Chouteau Dyer, Gus Johnson, or Stu Ogden expect to beat him in-the 60-yard free style.

Dartmouth beat Springfield, 44 to 40, by taking the final event, but while this is the same score by which the Green topped Navy, the Crimson's last and easy victim, the Gymnasts have their power better balanced than any opponent the varsity has faced so far.

The freshman swimmers also travel today, going to the Waltham Boy's Club for a 4 p.m. start.