Crimson Can Clinch Hockey Title Tonight With Win Over Princeton

Last year's history will have a chance to repeat itself at 9 p.m. tonight in the Garden when the varsity hockey team faces Princeton in an effort to clinch its second straight Ivy League title.

The Crimson won its first Ivy championship in 17 years by defeating Princeton in the teams' second meeting last season, 3 to 1. This season's Tigers will again attempt the spoiler role and, in addition, probably have greater ambitions of degrading the varsity's national reputation in front of the Eastern NCAA Selection Committee.

Although the Crimson sextet is now a favorite to gain one of the two Eastern bids for the NCAA Tourney on March 10-12, the final Committee decisions will still rest on the three contenders' remaining games.

Clarkson Fading

Providence College which upset Clarkson, 4 to 3, last Saturday, played St. Lawrence last night, and the Larries and Clarkson meet tomorrow night in Canton, New York.

Coach Cooney Weiland is still fearful of his two remaining opponents and has yet to comment on his NCAA Tourney chances. Two weeks ago the Tigers held the Crimson to a 1-1 tie in the first period before the sextet could break away and win, 6 to 2.

The strong Princeton start was mainly due to the inspired play of the team's first two lines, with wing George Scragg the only offensive standout.

Thus far all of the varsity's opponents which have depended on inspired hockey have not lasted beyond the opening period. Always a pre-game favorite, the Crimson has run its victory streak to ten.

Since its loss to the varsity, the Tigers have barely held on to their slim chance of tying for the Ivy League crown as they deadlocked Yale on Feb. 22, to 2.