Law School Must Solicit Outside Help

Needs Funds to Use Ford Grant for New Construction

The Law School will be forced to make outside appeals for funds to match the recent Ford Foundation grand providing for an International Legal Studies building at the School, it was learned last night.

Under the terms of the $2,050,000 Ford Foundation grant which provides for expansion in the field of International Legal Studies, the gift for a new building is contingent upon the University's supplying half the necessary amount.

Last night's report contradicted earlier speculation that the University would itself supply the necessary money in order to meet the grant's requirement and that the new addition to Law School buildings would definitely be constructed.

John A. King '40, secretary of the International Legal Studies program here, stated last night that appeals to raise the necessary money would definitely be made. He indicated, however, that any formal fund drive would await more definite building plans.

"There are no definite plans yet," King stated last night.

"We have always considered going outside," he continued, "but have not yet decided whether we shall limit the appeal to law school alumni or extend it to other interests as well."

The Ford Foundation's gift in January endowed two professorships and provided aid for research, advanced fellowships, an increased library staffs. But the grant for the new building will be withdrawn if it is not matched by the University.

Under the terms of the grant, there is a definite but undisclosed limit on the length of time in which the University may provide the money.