United States Should Recognize Red China, Sundaram Maintains

M. S. Sundaram, Cultural Attacks of the Embassy of India asserted last night that the chief source of tension in Asia today is the U.S. refusal to recognize Communist China.

Speaking in a United Nations Council panel discussion on "Towards World Peace," Sundaram disagreed with the other speaker, John K. Fairbank '29 professor of History, over legal control of Formosa.

Sundaram characterized the Formosan government as "an erstwhile symbol of a power that has run away to Formosa." "Chiang Kalshek he said "is not the Abraham Lincoln of China."

Fairbank said that we must support Chiang Katshek and his government of China. He proposed that the United Nations eventually make Formosa a protectorate until its citizens can hold a plebiscite to determine their eventual disposition.

The West "must recognized the fall accompli of China's Red government," Sundaram said. He added that this recognition does not mean that we must support the Chinees communists.

The attache the United Nations for refusing to admit the mainland government saying "The U.N. is a world assembly, not a club with the blackball."