DECLARATION OF PEACE

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

In your editorial "Arms and Men" you implied that the current need for conscription is uncontestable and that there remains only a question of its form, Selective Service or Universal Military Training. I believe that conscription in any form is unnecessary and is detrimental to the preservation of world peace. Large armies and military preparations only incite fear and suspicion among the nations of the world. Enduring peace must be built on understanding and friendship, not fear and suspicion.

Conscription has not brought peace where it has been used. Europe, the birthplace and stronghold of conscription, has been devastated by wars since its introduction in 1789. It did not assure victory to Germany, Japan and Italy. These who have lived by the sword have perished by the sword. In adopting conscription we are using totalitarian methods to fight totalitarianism.

Instead, the United States should work toward world disarmament under enforceable law. Russia has recently shown an increased readiness to discuss disarmament in the U.N., and we should wholeheartedly give our support to working out a practical and safe formula for putting disarmament into practice. Armaments are both a result and a cause of world tension. The more discussion of disarmament will help to reduce this tension.

Eighty-three cents out of every dollar that is spent by the government is paying for past and present wars. This is in contrast to only four-fifths of a cent out of the dollar that is spent for civilian aid and technical assistance to foreign countries, including that spent through the U.N. If a portion of the thirty-four billion dollars a year that is being used for military purposes were used instead to improve the economic, medical, and educational conditions of the world we could eliminate many of the causes for war.

Conscription and military preparation have only brought war in the past and may in the future bring the destruction of civilization. Disarmament, alleviation of world economic distress, and world government at least have a reasonable chance for insuring peace. Kent Wilson '88