Humphrey States Research Should Not Be Restricted

The University's ultimate contribution to the welfare of the nation will be greatest if it engages in open research, Sen. Hubert H. Humphrey (D-Minn.) said yesterday, following deliberation by his subcommittee.

He called the statement of Dean Bundy before the subcommittee last Tuesday "splendid testimony on the policy of an institution which makes a distinct contribution to the United States culture and economy."

Bundy reviewed the reasons why the University refuses to accept secret government contracts before the five-man group investigating the national security program.

Greatest Service

Humphrey said that secret work by the government and open research in the universities is a blend which will promote the greatest service to the country. "In the long run, the universities do best to provide the storehouse of learning on which applied research is based," he added.

"The need for highly secret projects is easy to recognize in view of the tense world situation. But the university ought to be free from government control as much as possible," he continued.

Free research is basic to higher education, and government restriction presents a real threat to that basis, he said. "We should be constantly aware of how the controlling hand of government injects itself into the life of the peaple.

"The restraints of secret work are easy to recognize. Classified government projects should be complementary to the free and open research in the universities," Humphrey concluded.