Hastie Will Leave Post At P.B.H. This Spring

After a stormy two-year term of office, Cornelius DeW. Hastie '52 has announced that he will not accept reappointment as P.B.H. Graduate Secretary. He will leave the house at the close of the present academic year.

Hasite said in a letter to George A. Buttrick, Plummer Professor of Christian Morals and Chairman of the Phillips Brooks House committee, that he has 'reluctantly decided my final year of preparation for the ministry must demand my full time and attention." The graduate secretary is currently in his second year at the Episcopal Theological School.

The Phillips Brooks House committee is expected to choose Hastie's successor in late April or early May. The PBH Association student cabinet will meet next week to consider recommending candidates to the faculty committee.

Drew Attention In Fall

Hastie drew attention last fall when he announced a plan to offer House endowment and facilities to College religious groups. The plan, when first presented, was opposed by both Douglas W. Hunt '55, Association president, and a majority of the cabinet. Later modifications by Hastie, including an agreement to put off any action until next year, resulted in the cabinet's giving the program tentative approval. The most controversial part of the plan, the offering of endowment funds to religious groups, was in effect eliminated when the religious groups refused such aid from Brooks House.

In offering aid to religious groups, Hastie pointed to the House's charter, which states the PBH objectives to be both religious and social service.

During Hastie's two years in office, there was considerable expansion in the Brooks House program. Mental hospital and prison programs were inaugurated and enlarged, and a Radcliffe volunteer program was brought into the house. Membership was increased to an all-time high of over 500 members and is expected to increase to 850 before the close of the year.