Large Percentage of Claverly Hall Students Will Not Move to Houses

Claverly Hall, once a Mount Auburn St. Siberia, has risen to new popularity this year. A large percentage of the students now living there will remain next fall, a spot poll indicated yesterday.

"By assigning good men to Claverly in the last two years, the Houses have successfully wiped out the stigma which used to be attached to all who lived in the hall," Henry V. Rosovsky, a Claverly tutor last year, said yesterday.

Two years ago, a new program was instituted whereby each House has entries in Claverly, and supplies the hall with a cross section of students. Until then, the Hall had been a dumping ground for probationary sophomores, not accepted in any House.

"Now that the stigma is disappearing, Claverly's many advantages become evident," Zeph Stewart, a Claverly Hall tutor said "It is a quieter, pleasanter, more spacious place than any of the Houses," he argued. Stewart has been a Claverly resident for two years, this year at his own request.

Indicative of these advantages is the intention of 28 resident students to continue living in the Hall next year. Five students now living in House will also move to Claverly in the fall.

Most of the men who wish to stay are from Adams, Leverett, and Lowell Houses. Secretaries in these Houses reported that the men do not want to move because of the Hall's convenient location, close to both the Yard and the Houses.

One man will also remain from both Kirkland and Winthrop House, but all Eliot and Dunster residents will shift into their Houses next year. Some of the Dunster men, however, had to be convinced by House officials before they would consent to move. "We fee the location is inconvenient for our men," Mrs. Irma E. Hutchison, House Secretary, explained.