Anti-Red Bill Sent to Court For Decision

Iannello Says He Will Add Clause If Ruling Favorable

The Massachusetts House of Representatives voted yesterday to ask the State Supreme Court for an advisory opinion on the constitutionality of the anti-Communist teachers bill.

Although the motion passed without a debate, Rep. Charles A. Iannello (D) from Boston promised after the vote that he would try "to put teeth" into the bill if the Court declares that the essential features of the legislation would be constitutional.

Ianello charged that the bill "in its present form is useless. Even if the Court says we do have the right to enact laws governing private schools, the current measures odes not provide for any effective way to enforce the law," be said.

A decision from the Court is expected within three weeks, according to Ren. John P. McMorrow '47 (D) from Boston, sponsor of the bill. The judges will decide whether the Legislature has the right to order private educational institutions to discharged teachers who refuse to testify about their Communist affiliations.

"I favor a bill which would take away the tax-exemption privilege from any school failing to comply with the order." Iannello continued. Under the present bill, colleges which fail to discharge teachers refusing to give testimony are subject to production by the Attorney General "in appropriate proceedings."

Iannello originally sponsored two anti-Communist teachers bills, but the Legislature's Committee on Education tabled these and three others in favor of its own bill, the one currently under discussion.