Committee Waters Down Griswold's Plan

A watered-down version of President Griswold's proposed curriculum changes was released for consideration of the Yale faculty Wednesday. The faculty will vote on the recommendations this spring.

The Committee's report proposes a number of technical improvements for the present curriculum, but ignores the most far-reaching of the President's modifications, claiming that the present character of student motivation, the makeup of the faculty, and the financial costs involved would make them "impractical if not impossible."

"It represents an honest effort at taking the free-wheeling plans of President Griswold and trying to equate them with the present situation," Thomas C. Mendenshall, chairman of the Course of Study Committee, said.

The new report embodies many of the President's specific proposals: discussion courses, a two-year reading list, auditing lectures suggested by advisors, and a senior essay or project climaxed by oral and written examinations at the end of the senior year, but rejects Griswold's basic plan of giving the student practically complete freedom.

But Griswold had also proposed that the student be completely reasonable for his own study habits. Instead of daily check-ups and frequent tests, Griswold advocated greater emphasis on long-range learning. He proposed that the student he allowed to go to lectures at the convenience, but be required to attend special discussion classes once a week. The student's reading would be guided by "syllabi" which would prepare him for general examination at the end of each year. The Committee ignored these recommendations.

Criticism of those proposals stressed the fact that most Yale freshman and sophomores were not equipped to handle such freedom and flexibility. Lack of funds was another frequently cited objection. The Yale News also felt that the Yale faculty, good as it was, could not supply enough top-fight lecturers to ensure attendance at voluntary sessions.

The Committee's report also proposes a new Divisional Honors Program for outstanding scholars.