Tennis Men Drop Weak M.I.T. 15-0, Lose Only 2 Sets

The weather was cold, but the varsity tennis team was not as it easily shut out M.I.T., 15 to 0, Saturday on the Tech courts. The Crimson dropped only two sets in the match.

Ham Gravem's powerful serve and forceful not game were too much for Al Hahn in the number one singles match, Gravem winning in straight sets, 6-0 and 6-2. This was his first match of the season, as he did not go on the southern trip.

Winning the first set 6-2, Captain Alex Haegler, whose driving forehand was very effective, was extended to 9-7 in the second not before beating Mendez do Leon at number two. Brooks Harris, at three, won in three sets, 6-0, 5-7, and 6-2, and Steve Gottlieb, playing four, gained his second victory of the season, defeating Dick MacLaughlin after losing the first set.

Both Conrad Fischer and Maynard Canfield, playing five and six respectively, won handily in straight sets. Dan Mayers lost only two games in winning his third match of the season, and sophomore Ben Heckscher defeated Don Steig at eight. At nine and ten, Karl Purnell and Steve Kay both played steady tennis to down their opponents.