Ruggers Trounce Engineers, 22-0, For Fifth Victory

The Bermuda Cup champion Crimson rugby team got back on the winning trail with vengeance yesterday, as it completely outclassed M.I.T., 22 to 0, reversing last fall's 14 to 0 loss to the Engineers. This gives the Crimson a season record of five wins and one tie, gained by the New York Rugby Club last Saturday.

bill Frate was again high scorer for the side, as he kicked a penalty goal and converted two of the tries, in a game dominated by excellent threequarter play despite the muddy field and greasy ball.

The Crimson's first try came with the game five minutes old, when fly-half Jerry Marsh dived on a loose ball after Nat Cooke had broken upfield. Frate converted, and added his penalty kick four minutes later.

Wing forward John Chalsty made the second try shortly before half-time when he broke around the short side of a loose scrum, to touch the ball down in the corner. The score at the half was 11 to 0.

The Crimson scored from another short side movement in the 38th minute, when center Buzzy Smyth cut through the M.I.T. line, and sent wing Mike Reynal over for the try. Frate kicked the extra points.

Bob Cochran utilized the only other method of scoring open to the side when he kicked a fine drop goal from a wide angle, and Martin Lindsay ended the scoring on a pass from Rellie.

--A rugby try equals a football touchdown. It is worth three points.

--A rugby conversion is the same as football's extra point, attempted from a position directly behind the place where the try is scored. It counts two points.

--A drop kick during play, similar to a football field goal, scores three points if converted.

-No team is penalized yardage. A serious rule infraction is penalized by a free kick, worth three points if converted.