'Everything's Going'

The Sporting Scene

Clocker Spanielle joined his fellows at the dog track yesterday. After losing heavily on John J. Jr. and Spider Rock at Buffolk Downs, the sage decided to try his luck with the greyhounds of Raynham Park.

He found that the major difference between the two tracks was the size of the quadrupeds running--a difference of some 12 hands--and the presence of "jeep," better known as the mechanical rabbit, or "there goes the bun-neee."

Clocker was surprised by the length of the track, which is five-sixteenths of a mile. But since the hounds frantically tear around the circuit twice, he didn't feel cheated.

"Bet on the big fellows in the rain," a friend advised, "'causes the little ones catch cold too easily." Clocker did and lost $12. "Play your favorite number and then work backward through your family's middle names," another friend advised. Poor Clocker. He dropped $15.

By the end of the evening he found the true clue was to bet on the number one dog. This hound has been trained to run by the rail. That makes him a safe bet since he's first to the inside post and closest to "jeep."

Clocker also learned dogs who are under or over the official weight by two pounds will be scratched