Varsity, Freshman Tennis Teams Oppose Amherst at 3:45 p.m. Today

A favored varsity tennis team shoots for its tenth victory today at 3:45 p.m. when it meets a mediocre Amherst squad on the Soldiers Field courts.

The Lord Jeffs, have won three and lost two this year, downing Brown (5 to 4), Bowdoin (8 to 1), and M.I.T. (8 to 1), while losing to Trinity and powerful North Carolina. The Crimson had little trouble with Brown, winning 8 to 1, and no trouble in a 15-0 romp with M.I.T.

At one, the varsity's Ham Gravem will oppose Neil Hurlbut, who lost to Crimson captain Alex Haegler over the weekend in the Intercollegiates. Haegler, playing two, should take Amherst captain Mark Hanschka, since Haegler beat M.I.T.'s number two man, Mendez de Leon, who in turn defeated Hanschka.

For the varsity, Conrad Fischer, the team's most consistent winner, and Brooks Harris will play three and four respectively. In a test match yesterday Maynard Canfield defeated Dan Mayers, and, as a result, will meet Roger Williams at five, with Mayers facing Jerry Cogan at six.

In doubles, the newly-crowned New England Intercollegiate champions, Harris and Haegler, will demonstrate their technique against Cogan and Hurlbut in what should be an excellent match.

Undefeated in six matches, the Yardling team, paced by number one Dale Junta, will meet the Amherst freshmen at 2:45 p.m. on the Soldiers Field courts.