Crimson Defeats Penn at Net, 7-2, For Seventh Win

The varsity tennis team completed a successful weekend trip Saturday by beating Penn, 7 to 2, in Philadelphia. The victory was the Crimson's seventh of the year and fourth straight in league competition.

Coach Jack Barnaby said, "the team played rather sloppily, but we hadn't practiced for a week and the hard surface courts gave us a little trouble at first."

Playing first singles, Penn's Morris Krome defeat Ham Graven in three sets, 5-7, 6-3, 6-1. Graven played sporadically, while Krome played a more cautions and consistent game. Since captain Alex Haegler was unable to make the trip, Brooks Harris moved up to two, and played aggressive tennis in downing Charlie Rieger, who was number one earlier in the season. Harris won 8-6, 6-2.

Fischer Wins

At three, Conrad Fischer continued his winning ways by easily blanking Ben Brown, 6-0, 6-0. Always steady, Fischer has been concentrating on developing an attack. Dan Mayers outlasted Ted Moock in a three-set match, and Maynard Canfield, at five, also won in three sets. In the final singles match, Ben Heckscher lost only two games in beating Ted Gillespie.

Dissatisfield with his doubles teams, Barnaby said, "We still have a long way to go in getting good teamwork and consistent play." Gravem and Heckscher, at one, lost to Rieger and Brown, 6-2, 6-4. Despite dropping the first set 6-1, Canfield and Fischer edged Krome and Moock in three sets, while Mayers and Harris had no difficulty with Paul Bierly and Sam Finerman, winning 6-0, 6-1.