Nine Shuts Out Middies; Crew Takes Cup

Wisconsin Wins

By Gavin R. W. scott

The varsity crew won the Compton Cup Saturday, but narrowly lost the boat race to the midwestern brawn of the University of Wisconsin.

The Badgers, nattily attired in striped orange and white shirts, were ineligible to receive the Cup given for competition between the Crimson, M.I.T., and Princeton.

But they did receive the acclaim of the sun-drenched crowds on the river banks for their impressive, understroking defeat of the varsity by a ruargin of eight feet or 1.1 seconds. Winning time over the mile and three-quarters course was 8:55.3.

The result of the freshman heavies race was much happier for Crimson supporters as the Yardlings swept home before both Princeton and M.I.T. in the time of 9:10. The junior varsity was second in its race, three lengths behind the Tiger crew, which had been strengthened by shifts in the varsity the day before.

In the varsity race, the Crimson's last-minute surge in the final quarter-mile, when stroke Nick Platt boosted the cadence to a 40, was not sufficient to overcome the greater pulling strength of the taller and heavier Wisconsin shell. The Badgers continued comparatively calmly rowing a 35 despite the varsity's furious, pressing drive a few feet astern.

The race, conducted under ideal weather and water conditions, was as close at the beginning as it was near the thrilling finish. The Crimson began at a 40 racing start and settled to a 32, only to be understroked by Wisconsin's initial cadence of 30.

The crews entered Harvard Brige nearly together and emerged about six feet apart as the Badgers moved ahead for the first time. Princeton was a contender only for the first three-quarters of a mile, after which it dropped back of the leaders by a considerable margin. After the start, M.I.T. never seriously threatened the three other crews.

With about half a mile to go, Crimson stroke Platt raised the beat to 34 and the prspect of overtaking Wisconsin, still less than a length ahead, improved as Badger number four oar Lou Uehling caught a crab. He recovered well, however, and the stability of his beat was little affected.

The Crimson's cadence climbed to a 36 and then finally to a 40, though Wisconsin stroke Bill Schneider never raised the