Ford Foundation Gives Fellowships For Asian Study to Six Students

One student from the college and five from the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences are among ten American university students to receive grants from the Ford Foundation for study and research here next year on Asia and the Near East, it was announced yesterday.

The awards are part of the 64 fellowships distributed throughout the world by the Foundation this year in the fourth year of its Foreign Study and Research Fellowship program. The program is aimed at "increasing the corps of Americans trained to interpret and deal with problems relating to Asia, the near East, Africa, the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe."

The Foundation has already announced its grants for African studies and will announce its fellowships for Soviet and East European studies shortly.

The one college winner is Richard H. Henderson, a senior concentrator in Anthropology. Henderson will study anthropology and subjects related to the Middle East, especially the impact of Western technology on classic Islamic doctrine. He has previously studied at Yale college and Heidelburg and Munster Universities in Germany. He is a native of Hamburg, Iowa.

The other winners from here and their fields include: John P. Emerson 8G, economics and the Japanese language; Joseph W. Elder 1G, South Asian studies and sociology; Joseph B. Grieder 1G, Chinese language and history; Harold L. Kahn 1G, Chine language and polities; and Gilbert D. Totten 1G, research on the recent history of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

In addition Gertrude M. Woodruff a teaching fellow in Anthropology, will study the school structure of the city of Bangalore, India.