Adams, Leverett Will Lose Informal Dining Privileges

Informal dining died a sticky death yesterday.

For the past, three days inhabitants of Adams and Leverett Houses had eaten is lightly clad luxury, but a reminder from the Dean's office has brought back the rumpled seersucker jacket and the gaping collar. Leigh Hoadley, Master of Leverett House, and Reuben A. Brower, Master of Adams House, were referred to an agreement made at a December, 1950, Housemasters' meeting, that "the coat and tie rule" should always be observed in College dining halls.

Adams residents, like the ones above, have been legally casting off both coats and ties; Hoadley has allowed Leverett to wear "a clean shirt, a tie, and no jacket," or a sports shirt, and jacket with no tie. These regulations were to have been in force until the end of the exam period.

Shorts have also been flourishing more than usual, and these will be allowed to stay. "After all, they're worn in the finest hotels," Hoadley said, "Even if they do expose a lot of ungainly flesh."

Brower's decision to relax the rule came as a result of near record temperatures in the high 80's and a consequent flood of requests from members of Adams House. He followed a precedent set by his predecessor, the late David M. Little '17, who introduced dining hall informality in 1946.

Although freshmen and residents of the other six Houses were still technically bound by the usual regulations, frequent protests had in many cases resulted in the rule being much less strictly enforced.

When Adams men walked in to dinner last night, however, there was an official notice on the board. Headed "Important," it read, "By agreement of the Masters, coasts and ties will be worn in the dining room. This rule takes effect beginning with dinner Friday night, May 27."