LaMar Awarded Dana Reed Prize For Best Writing

Three contributors to the Advocate--two from the College and one from Radcliffee-have won honors in the Dana Reed Prize Competition for the best writing in a college publication during the past year.

Nathaniel LaMar '55 of Eliot House and Atlanta received first prize of $100 for his work "Creole Love Song," which originally appeared in the December Advocate and was republished in the current issue of Harper's Magazine.

Grossmen Gets Honorable Mention

Honorable mention went to Allen R. Grossman '55 of Eliot House and Minneapolis for four poems which appeared in various issues of the Advocate throughout the year, and to Cynthia M. Rich '56 of Moors Hall and Baltimore for "My Sister's Marriage," a story published in the December Advocate.

LaMar's entry was unanimously selected as the best by the competition's three judges, Robert Sherwood '18, Pulitzer Prize Playwright, Russell Lynes, Managing editor of Harper's, Martha Foley, editor and critic.

The prize was established by the Board of the 1943 Class Album, in honor of Lt. Dana Reed '43, who was reported missing over the Adriatic Sea after a bombing raid in World war II. He was Editor-in-Chief of the 1943-44 Album and Executive Editor of the CRIMSON.