ROTC Revisions Meet Opposition in Pentagon

By Bernard M. Gwertzman

The College's plan to revise its Army ROTC program has met with unexpected new opposition from the Pentagon, informed Washington sources indicated yesterday. Although it had been expected that the Army would give its final decision by the end of May on the program, which would radically alter the present ROTC set-up, it now appears that the decision may be postponed for at least another month.

The plan, as passed by the Faculty last May and sent to Washington by President Pusey, would reduce ROTC classroom training from four to three years, and would increase the summer camp period from six to 12 weeks.

About ten days ago, Dean Bundy was called to the Pentagon for a "secret" meeting with Army officials to re-discuss the proposal. Previously, Bundy and two other faculty members, Donald C. McKay, professor of History, and Lt. Co.. Trevor N. Dupuy, professor of Military Science and Tactics, had met with similar officials last October. In the intervening period between the two meetings, Army officials had visited the College and examined its facilities and capacity for carrying out the new program.

Had Expected Early Decision

While no definite agreement was made, authorities here had always felt that the Army would announce its decision by May 31. In fact, in recent weeks, a highranking Army Official who refused to be identified said, "The plan looks like it may go through."

There have always been certain Army objections to the plan, the main ones being financial and administrative. It believed that by changing the present program, a much larger sum would be needed than it can presently afford. Also it felt that the plan would be impractical at certain schools which lack Harvard's large staff.

Plan Attracts Educators

One of the features of the proposed plan which has especially attracted educators is the emphasis it puts on "liberalizing" the military curriculum with courses in history, law, etc. This aspect, however, has not had the same appeal to "hard-boiled" military men.

While it has been impossible to determine the exact reasons for Bundy's recent meeting, one Washington officer, who did not want to divulge his name said about the plan: "We want the students for four instead of three years. The longer we have them the better."