Administration Rotates Gen. Ed. Chairmanship

Rhinelander Submits Resignation to Open First Phase of Plan

By John J. Iselin

The Administration has accepted a plan for rotating the chairmanship of the General Education Program, it was learned yesterday. Future Directors of the Program will be drawn from permanent members of the faculty.

Philip H. Rhinelander '29, present Director of General Education, has submitted his resignation from the program in order that this plan might be carried out. Rhinelander's resignation would take effect this June.

Rhinelander's successor has not yet been named, but it is understood that members of the Committee on General Education have presented possible choices to Dean Bundy for consideration.

Rhinelander has headed the program for three years, and gives one of the basic General Education courses, Humanities 4. He expects to leave the College next year without finishing the final year of his appointment as lecturer in the Philosophy Department.

The Committee on General Education gave two reasons for its rotation policy, which was inaugurated at its recommendation to the Administration.

1) a desire to see the program directed by men of permanent professorial rank and widely recognized academic standing.

2) a feeling that such rotation would tend to bring fresh ideas to bear on the program as different men assume the chairmanship.

Temporary Appointment

The length of the term for each chairman has not yet been decided.

Rhinelander's resignation will come as a surprise to many undergraduates, who have assumed that he held his position permanently. However, it was pointed out when Rhinelander assumed the post that it was only a term appointment. It was understood that a permanent post might be created at some future date.

Further information indicated yesterday that the change did not reflect any direct or indirect administration disfavor with the present General Education program, but only a desire to see it represented in the future by a widely recognized scholar and permanent faculty member.

Rhinelander is actually the third person to head the General Education program. At its inception, it was briefly directed by Benjamin Rice, now President of Smith College. David E. Owen, now Chairman of the Department of History; succeeded Rice.