Crimson Loses to Elis, 5-1; MacKenzie Allows 4 Hits

Yale southpaw Ken MacKenzie handcuffed the varsity for the second time this season, allowing only four hits in leading the Elis to a 5-1 victory before a Reunion crowd of 5,100 fans at Soldiers Field yesterday.

For six innings the game was a tense pitcher's duel between MacKenzie end the Crimson's Andy Ward. Then, with two out and no one on base in the seventh frame, Ward suddenly tired.

Eli third baseman Phil Mathias slammed a solid single to center field, and Ward walked the next batter. Yale short-stop Phil Schiffino, who had struck out in his first two plate appearances, then spanked a double to right center field, scoring Mathias. MacKenzie, who had also struck out twice, laced another double down the right field line, scoring two more runs.

Yale picked up their final two tallies in the eighth inning. With one out, Eli center fielder Ray Lamontagne laid a perfect bunt down the third base line. The next batter, Ray Guidotti, walked, and a double steal put men on second and third. After the following batter struck out, Mathias singled to center, tallying both runners. When Ward hit Ray Walker, coach Norm Shepard relieved him with Kon Rossano, who struck out Schiffino to end the frame.

The varsity's one run came in the ninth inning. Left fielder Dick Hoffman led off with a long single to center and continued on to second when the ball took a bad hop by the center fielder. First baseman John Simourian then drove a ground ball through the second baseman's legs, scoring Hoffman.

The next batter, Bill Cleary, hit a high bouncing grounder over MacKenzie's head, but was nipped by a stride at first.