Mishaps Almost Kill Two Students; Radcliffe Girl Attacked by Hoodlums

Two Lowell House students narrowly escaped death and a Radcliffe graduate student was assaulted by Cambridge hoodlums, as the University rushed toward the end of exam period.

Lowell Laporte '56 was hurled an estimated 23.5 feet and run over by an automobile when his motorcycle spun out on one of a series of laps around Memorial Hall. Laporte was rushed to Peter Bent Brigham Hospital in an ambulance summoned by residents who were aroused by the machine's disintegration.

The second Lowell House contribution to the week's wreckage was a fire which started in a couch and which almost took the life of an inhabitant who was strangely reluctant to leave it. Neighbors rescued the victim by smashing a fire-door and then called the engines. Some 50 scholars turned out fully clothed to watch the scene at 4:30 a.m.

The Radcliffe affair involved Judith E. Cowen, G.Ed., who was assaulted by two hoodlums Friday with a picket fence as she emerged from an office in Peabody House.

Miss Cowen fled up the hall screaming, then fainted. She remembers next being picked up from the floor where she had fallen after being struck by one of the assailants.

Police said that a professor on the floor above heard the screams and drove off the hoodlums. The picket fence yielded no fingerprints when recovered by Cambridge officers.

The CRIMSON will not publish for one week and then not for 14 weeks.