Shady Hill Residents Petition University on Housing Issue

Ninety-eight Cambridge residents have formally announced their opposition to the University's plan for a faculty housing project on Francis Avenue, but further action on the Shady Hill development will probably not take place until the fall.

In a joint letter to President Pusey, residents of the area surrounding the proposed apartment house asked that the plan be reconsidered because "it would not be of advantage either to the University or the neighborhood."

A letter accompanying the petition sought a meeting with University officials to avert a public fight over the housing project and work out a solution acceptable to both sides. Opponents of the plan last night saw little chance of further University action on the dispute until the fall. They said, however, that they would carry their fight as far as the Cambridge City Planning Board, if necessary.

Wants to Cooperate

"We want to cooperate with the University in their efforts to house younger members of the faculty," Mrs. King Upton said last night, "but we feel that building an apartment house in Shady Hill would destroy one of the last pleasant neighborhood near the University."

"We don't oppose the use of the land for new faculty housing," another signer of the resolution said, "but we do object to the congestion that would be caused when hundreds of small children are thrown into a small and cramped area."