Sporting Scene

Five varsity squash players, the only collegiate team entered, reached the semi-finals of the National Squash Teams Championship tournament held over the weekend in Pittsburgh.

On Saturday, Haddon Tomes, Larry Brownell, and Bill Wister won their matches to give the Crimson a 3 to 2 victory over a Detroit entry. A New York team beat the varsity, 4 to 1, in Sunday's semi-final to eliminate them from the tournament.

The freshman squash team dropped its first match of the season to a rugged Exeter team 2 to 3 at the Hemenway courts Saturday. In their first meeting this year at Exeter, the freshmen managed to eke out a 4 to 1 win from the Exeter veterans. Captain Ben Heckscher preserved his winning streak, beating Paul Martin.

Recording the second highest score a varsity rifle team has ever shot, the rifle team defeated Yale 1,392 to 1,372 Saturday morning.

Team captain Frank Sweet was high man, shooting 286 out of 300. He equalled the team kneeling position record with a 99. John Hessel's 284 was the second highest score for the Crimson.

Saturday afternoon, the team placed sixth in the Boston University Tourney with a 1,374 score. Maryland's 1,418 score won the match.

Competing against eight other teams, the varsity skiers took fourth place at the McGill Winter Carnival this weekend with 541 points.

Skiing without their number one man, Harry Gardner, the skiers lost by a narrow 15 point margin. McGill, the host, finished first with 556 points, followed by Laval of Quebec, 552, and the Dartmouth B team, 551.