Truman Might Receive Honorary Degree Here

Former President Harry S. Truman and Charles E. Bohlen '27 will probably receive honorary degrees from the University at the Commencement Exercises and address the Alumni at its luncheon on Thursday, June 16. Both Truman and Bohlen were unavailable for comment on the possibility of their selection.

Besides German Chancellor Konrad Adenauer, Robert Cutler '16, Arthur M. Schlesinger, Francis Lee Higginson Professor of History, emeritus, and Hellen A. Keller '04 may also be given honorary awards by the University.

Famous for activities on behalf of the physically handicapped in spite of her own blindness and deafness, Hellen A. Keller '04 may be the first woman to be granted an honorary award by the Corporation. Miss Keller is presently a Counsellor on International Relations for the American Fund for the Blind. She has lectured to audiences throughout the world and holds one of France's highest distinctions, the Legion of Honor.

Cutler is currently consultant to the National Security Council. He has been an Overseer since 1949. During the war Cutler was a Brigadier General and received the Distinguished Service Medal. While at the University he was editor of the Law Review and an Instructor of English in 1916 and 1917.

Schlesinger was professor of History at the University from 1924 to 1939 when he became Francis Lee Higginson Professor until his retirement last year. Schlesinger has been a visiting lecturer at the Universities of London. Leyden and Edinburgh. He has also written and edited numerous books on literature and history.

These predictions are, however, only predictions. They seem probable, but last year the CRIMSON felt Eleanor Roosevelt would be the recipient of the University's first honorary degree to a woman.