The Register Revisited

The Classgoer

In the days of President Eliot, a student could get through Harvard College with no course more general than Sanskrit 103 despoiling his academic record. Times have changed, however. General Education has arrived, bringing with it distribution requirements. This fall, as always, the CRIMSON accepts the University's challenge. We have once more dived into the Catalogue of Courses and emerged with some promising courses meeting on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Tomorrow's "Classgoer" will suggest possibilities for Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday electives.

9:00

Is the human soul immortal? Is Christianity just a passing fad? Is Freud God? Assistant Professor Alston of the University of Michigan will not answer these questions in "Philosphy 190," but he will examine some of the ways in which the phenomenon of religious belief can be interpreted. St. Thomas Aquinas, Kierkegaard, Santayana, and Freud had various views on this topic, and the ideas will all come out in Emerson H.

Harvard 3 is the arena as capital grapples with labor, rugged individualism takes on socialism, and the referee, newly returned Professor Osear Handlin, always gains control at the end. "History 170a" surveys the economic history of the country, with special emphasis on the development of industry and agriculture during the last 50 years.

10:00

"Natural Sciences 111," alias "Know Your Ancestors," holds forth in the Biology Labs Lecture Room with a thorough but non-technical treatment of organic evolution. Beginning with a history of evolutionary thought, Professor Romer proceeds to the genetic background of the subject, the work of Darwin, and finally a detailed explanation of how a fish got to be an ape, and how an ape got to wear tweed jackets and flannel pants.

In certain quarters the United States Constitution, venerable as it is, seems unpopular these days. The United States Supreme Court, venerable as it is, does, too. In "Government 124," meeting in Long fellow Alumnae Hall, Associate Professor McCloskey puts the two reprobates together to see what effect they've had on each other through the years. His course on American Constitutional Development traces the interpretation of the Constitution by the Supreme Court, paying special attention to decisions of the post-World War II era.

11:00

Despite beliefs that artistic freedom has not flourished under the Soviet regime, Hugh McLean in "Slavic 156" examines Russian literature since 1917 and turns up some surprising examples of great writing. The course, conducted in English, meets in New Lecture Hall 8. Maxim Gorky is very much in evidence, as is the Soviet Government.

King Ocdipus will once again kill his father and marry his mother, and Prince Hamlet will be just as confused as he was the last time, as Professor Poggioli studies "Ideas of Tragedy" on Long fellow Terrace. Most of the other well-known victims of Fate and playwrights will appear too, in "Comparative Literature 102."

12:00

In "English 123," "Selected Plays of Shakespeare," Professor Harry Levin becomes Elizabethan actor and director. His recitation and analysis of six of the Bard's plays is usually a smash hit with the ground lings assembled in New Lecture-on-Kirkland.

Roomates and section men, parents and Radcliffe girls, all will come up for analysis in "Social Relations 183." "Developmental Trends in Personality" studies the way a personality should grow during adolescence and young adulthood, and why it often doesn't grow as it should. Seats in Emerson 211 will double as psychiatrist's couches for the occasion.