Pusey Backs Pleas For Eighth House

Necessary Money Not Yet Available

President Pusey yesterday strongly reiterated the need for at least one additional House to handle the present overflow of College upperclassmen.

The President endorsed pleas of the seven Housemasters to relieve the House overcrowding that has forced opening of two new "out" building this fall.

There is now general agreement in the University, he pointed out, on the need for additional housing facilities. Unfortunately, the needed money is not yet available.

No official campaign would yet seem to be underway to finance the construction of additional living quarters.

"It seems to me quite clear," the President stated, "that there is a substantial unanimity regarding the need for an additional House. The problem is where do we get the money? This we do not now have. But we plan to make every effort to get ahead with the program this year."

He did not cite any specific plans for a fund campaign directed at financing the construction of one or more Houses, but he did emphasize that attempt to relieve the present undergraduate crowding would present an "important undertaking for the year."

In Agreement with Housemasters

Housemasters had earlier agreed that the best answer to overcrowding lies in the construction of one or two new Houses, rather than addition to present structures, or in stricter rules forcing potential commuters to live at home.

Charles H. Taylor, Master of Kirkland House, remarked in assessing the present rooming conditions Sunday, "anything that would relieve overcrowding would be welcomed, especially two new Houses."