Crimson Sextet Will Seek Revenge for Friar Defeat

For those who are wondering about an improvement of the varsity hockey team over is early season form, tonight's game with Providence College at Providence should be a substantial test.

The Crimson will be without the services of Bob McVey and first line wing Terry O'Malley, but Coach Cooney Weiland is confident that his team can avenge its 5-4 overtime upset by the Friarn Dec. 13. O'Malley received a Jung` injury in the Dalhonsie game during vacation and will not be able to play until Saturday at the earliest.

Providence has a outstanding first line, led by wing Bob Reall, who in captain of the Friar sextet for the third straight year. Coach Dick Rondeau remarked recently that "unless the Reall-Ed Monahan-Red German combination is working well, we don't go anywhere." German scored three goals against the Crimson, including the tying and winning ones, in the 5-4 game.

The varsity lineup will have changed radically since that contest, largely because three former defensemen will be skating in forward positions. Dan Ullyet will be playing his second game as center of the second line, and Pete Summers will again take O'Malley's place on the first line with Bob Cleary and Lyle Guttu.

Weiland plans to use big John Copeland on the second line occasionally and will use veteran Joe Crehoe on defense.

Jayvee Sextet Meets Dedham

The junior varsity hockey team will open its season tonight against the Dedham Tigers on the Watson Rink at 7 p.m.

Composed of former college players, mostly from Harvard and Dartmouth, the Dedham team includes the Riley brothers, Joe and Bill, who starred for the Big Green from 1945-47. The goalie is Harcourt Wood '49, and the starting defense combination is Steve Howe '50 and Stan Priddy of Dartmouth, who played on the 1948 American Olympic team. John Paine '42 is the starting center.