U.S. Public Schools Should Help Talented Student, Conant Says

The Unikted States should alter its public school system so that exceptionally talented students can receive more thorough college preparation, James B. Conant '14, President Emeritus said last night.

Speaking before the National Citizens Commission for Public Schools in New York City, Conant said that public schools must goar themselves to pick out talented students, yet remain flexible.

"We must identify the scholastically talented young, but still retain our present flexible system," Conant explained.

He emphasized that he was not advocating any major change in the American system, but added that the United States could do a lot more for the children "with special talent." However, the unusual student must be discovered before high school," he added.

Conant suggested that the procedure used with these students be fashioned after the European system of concentrated studies in language and mathematics before college.

But for most American students the European system would not function well because there is not "enough parental pressure for hard work," he said, and also pointed out that only 15 percent of the Europeans stay in school after the age of 16 compared to 75 percent in the U.S.