Varsity Basketball Squad to Face Dartmouth five at Hanover Tonight

By Frances E. Shaner

Playing on what coach Floyd Wilson calls "the toughest court in the league", the varsity basketball team will try to hand Dartmouth its eighth straight defeat tomorrow night at Hanover. The Crimson freshmen will aim for their fifth straight victory in the preliminary.

Wilson plans to start the same five he started against M.I.T. last Saturday, with Bob Hastings and Bob Barnett at the guards, "Ike" Canty at center, and Dick Hurley and Phil Haughey at forwards.

Once more the Crimson will face a tailer aggregation, mainly because Big Green coach "Doggie" Julian will start 6-foot-8 junior Jim Francis at center. Sophomore Dave Carruthers and junior Ron Judson will be the Big Green forwards, with Herb Marksman, the best outside shot on the team, and Gene Booth at guards.

Although Dartmouth had lost seven in a row, they are far from a pushover. Included in this string of defeats are losses to several strong western and midwestern teams, including California, U.S.C., U.C.L.A., and Bradley.

Dartmouth will also have the advantage of the home court. "The stands in Hanover are very close to the court. They've got rabid rooters up there, and that makes it tough for any visiting squad," Wilson said. It seems those Dartmouth boys have got to keep active somehow.