Crimson Track Men to Face Top Stars in K. of C. Meet

By William C. Sigal

When the top men on the Harvard track team meet the best track athletes in the nation tomorrow evening in the annual Knights of Columbus Meet at the Boston Garden at 7:30, one thing is certain--the Crimson will come out second best. But what college athlete is liable to beat the likes of Harrison Dillard or Bob Richards?

Actually, most attention will be focused on the mile relay in which the varsity quartet meets Yale and Princeton, whom it has heaten two straight years. Although this year the Blue has more depth than the varsity, Coach Bill McCurdy expects his team of Mike Robertson, French Anderson, Al Wills, and anchorman Dick Wharton to come through.

Of local interest will be the 45-yard high hurdles, in which Crimson ace Joel Cohen meets last year's star Bob Rittenburg, who is now in service. Both should lose to the venerable "Bones" Dillard, who at an age well past 30 is seeking his 18th consecutive Boston gold medal. Also entered in this event will be Ed Carter, and Paul and Dave Rosenthal.

About the most impossible task will fall to Kip Smith, in the pole vault. While Smith's 13-foot vaults are excellent in college competition, he is up against the best in the world, Richards and Don Laz, both 15-foot men. Freshman Fred Washburn will also compete in this event.

In the two-mile relay, McCurdy feels that the odds are so strongly against the varsity, that he is considering seratching his entry. The varsity is in the same heat as Mauhattan and Pittsburgh, which is anchored by Arnie Sowell, the best half-miler in the country. If he does decide to enter his team, it will be composed of Jim Cairns, Phil Williams, and two others from among Otis Gates, Ken Wilson, Wharton, and Wills.

Other Crimson entries will be either Cairns, Wills, or Wharton in the Eddle Farrell Memorial 500; Jack Murphy in the high jump; Norm Bruck, Art Maye, and freshman Joe Landan in the 50-yard dash; and a freshman mile-relay team composed of Lee Barnes, Dave Brahms, Al Gordon, and Dave Gately.