Kefauver Here, Blasts Foreign Policy; Tells Press Stevenson Still Strongest

Claims He Will Be Democrat Nominee

Estes Kefauver admitted yesterday that former Illinois Governor Adlai Stevenson is the leading candidate, but claimed "My strength will increase and I will win the presidential nomination at the Democratic Convention."

At a press conference in the Sheraton-Plaza Hotel immediately following his Harvard speech, the Tennessee Senator discussed his plans for the coming campaign.

"I have announced for primaries in New Hampshire, Wisconsin, Florida, and California," he said, "and am seriously inclined to enter in Wisconsin." Kefauver explained that the opposition of Minnesota public officials has made him reluctant to file there.

Asked whether he would accept a Vice-Presidential nomination, Kefauver said, "I am not interested in the second spot. All my eggs are in one basket."

Party Distinctions

The Presidential aspirant listed five main distinctions between the Democratic and Republican parties: Democrats are more united and purposeful on foreign policy; have more interest in farmers; better oppose monopolies and cartels; protect national resources; and are more intent on seeing civil rights guaranteed in security matters.

After the press conference, Kefauver was guest of honor at a large reception in the hotel. Boston Mayor Hynes, many top Democratic city leaders, officers of the HYDC, and representatives of the newly formed "Kefauver for President" Club were among the invited.