Matthews N. Defeats Mower

The Matthews North basketball team ended its season undefeated as it drove to a solid 46-29 victory over Mower in the Freshman Interleague basketball playoff at the I.A.B. last night. George James, the Matthews right guard, was high individual scorer with 19 points.

Matthews North scored twice immediately after Mower had counted in the opening seconds, and continued to roll up points throughout the first two periods. The score at the end of the half stood at 21 to 10.

A scrappy third period saw the hardest playing of game, as Mower fought to take advantage of its opponent's slackening defense. But Matthews recovered its first half touch to make the score 35 to 20 by the end of the third period.

A Mower scoring spree on penalty shots in the last two minutes of play, though it netted six points, came too late and too little to close the gap.

Throughout the game Matthews showed a greater ability both to shoot and to gain control of the ball. Led by James, the team sank a much higher percentage of penalty shots than did Mower. Matthews' tight defense kept Mower scoring down to three points to only three points in the game's second period.

Second high scorer for Matthews was Bob Grundeman with 14 points. High score for Mower was Al Goldman's eight points.