Varsity Hockey Team Meets Brown Tomorrow at Watson

By Gavin R. W. scott

From the way they were talking yesterday, Cooney Weiland and Brown's Jim Fullerton would appear to coach the same team.

Weiland said: "They have a lot of potential, and I'd guess they haven't shown their best so far."

Fullerton said: "We have a lot of respect for their depth and speed." But each was speaking of the other's charges. The two teams clash tomorrow in Watson at 4 p.m.

The parallel doesn't stop there. Within the last week, both Crimson and Bruins have trounced Dartmouth by 6 to 2 and 10 to 2 scores respectively. Both would appear Ivy favorites this year, and both will be at top form for the game which even this early could well have an important effect on final league standings.

Weiland's successful shift of Dan Uilyot and Pete Summers to forward positions will continue. Since the change before the Dartmouth game, the first two lines seem to have shaken off the vacation lethargy of the disastrous Holiday Tournament.

Alex Kalil, Cornwall, Ont., sophomore, will dress for his first game since he broke his collarbone in early season practice. Otherwise there will be no line-up changes--and nobody will blame Weiland for standing pat on the team which scored four goals in 11 minutes to boat Providence College Tuesday, 5 to 4.

If Weiland has bet any money on the game, he isn't telling. He did say, however, that the rousing win over Providence has done a good deal to bolster team confidence. The Crimson has lost one of its last 21 Ivy League games. "Brown is our biggest threat," Weiland observed.

Down at Providence, no one is unduly elated by the four goal superiority of comparative Dartmouth scores. "The Crimson has fast skaters and fast shots, and a fine goalie. We're keeping our fingers crossed," Fullerton said.

But his team hardly kept its fingers crossed Wednesday in beating Dartmouth, or in the earlier hectic victory over Providence College. At center on the first line, Roddy Dashnaw, who played under Fullerton two years ago at Southside School, scored three against the Green. He is the Bruins' leading goal getter.

The second threat is Pete Tutless, second line center, who also played at Southside and who notched two against Dartmouth. He was third highest scorer in the Ivy League last year. Defending the Bruin cage is Harry Batchelder, probably the league's most colorful goalie. Fullerton, privately says that Batchelder may become the league's best, as well