Candle Glow Lights Cronin's

Mt. Auburn Blackout

One boy talked to one girl, and sipped heady wine from far-away New York State in the intimate surroundings of Cronin's Monday night, when the electricity went out on Mount Auburn St. from 8:15 until 10:30 p.m. Tom Cronin lights candles (above) for the festivities.

Jim Cronin reported that the Place took on poetic hues in the candlelight, a ceiling of darkness closed in each booth, and voices whispered in a romantic hush. "But we don't plan to make either the candles or the dulcet voices a permanent part of our atmosphere," Cronin said. "We will await future happy misadventures in the Cambridge electric power for repetitions of the occasion."

Down the street at Eisle's lunch, she and her husband described the candlelit hours as a little slice out of life in the old country. "Some of the boys had girls along," they said, "and those who did not wished they had."

The only complaint was from a Mount Auburn street hostess. She said that her party lost its focus and flavor when the lovely glow from her electric fireplace snuffed out.