Swimming Team Favored in Meet Against Big Red

By Thomas Linden

Coach Hal Ulen and the 1956 Crimson swimming team by to Cornell tomorrow night to start worth at breaking a five year tradition.

For five consecutive years Crimson swimmers have won every meet throughout the season until they encountered Yale. Ulen's newest squad dives into the Big Red pool at Ithaca at 2:30 p.m. Saturday to start testing to see whether things can be changed for the better.

Just maintaining the status quo, however, will provide a few problems. Cornell beat Navy, 46 to 38, before the holidays, though the Big Red was extended to the last event before it could pull out the victory.

Geer & Ogden Lost

Furthermore, Ulen has lost the services of Duke Geer, a 440 regular last year, and Stu Ogdon, a developing sprinter; both have been forced off the team by chronic health conditions.

Crimson difficulties will arise in the very first event, for Cornell has already fashioned a three-minute medley relay team. Griff Winthrop in the backstroke, Dave Hawkins in the butterfly, and John Lind in the free style will try to match it for the Crimson.

Crimson captain Jim Jorgenson should take care of the next event, the 220. Soph- omore Tom Cochran will seek to win permanently the position of Jorgensen's running mate in this event.

Hawkins will come back with Pete-Macky in the individual medley, which now includes four strokes--the breast as well as the butterfly. Ron Caldwell, who will also serve the Big Red in the opening relay, should provide worthy opposition.

Chouteau Dyer and Gus Johnson will take good charge of the 50 for the visitors, while sophomores Greg Stones and Duane Murner will attempt to assert themselves strongly as varsity divers.

Dyer and either Macky or Lind will swim a second time for the Crimson in the 100, and Winthrop will come back in the backstroke, accompanied by Paul Santmire.

Jorgensen and Fletcher Davis will enter the 440 for the Crimson. Hawkins, again, and Sigo Falk should handle the breast-stroke superiorly, as usual. Their event follows, rather than precedes, the 440 this year. This rearrangement removes the necessity of Jorgensen's swimming the grueling quarter and the free style relay in immediate sequence. Macky, Johnson, Lind, and Dyer will handle the final relay for Ulen themselves, however, Saturday