Councilors Doubt Meeting Tonight Will Elect Mayor

"I'm the man the people of Cambridge want, and I'll be mayor," City Councillor Edward J. Sullivan said yesterday, but the one vote he needs for election will be withheld at tonight's City Council meeting.

Four independents supported Sullivan at last week's meeting, but the fifth, Thoman M. McNamara, voted for himself to cost the council's top vote-getter the mayoralty. The four Cambridge Civic Association councillors voted "present" last week and plan to do so again today.

Sullivan and his supporters have been seeking McNamara's vote all week, but he will definitely not support Sullivan, he said last night.

Councillor Edward A. Crane '35 stated yesterday that the CCA members will withhold their votes again in hopes that a deadlock among the independents will enable one of their number to win the mayoralty. Failing this, he said, they will support an independent who is acceptable to them.

Councillor John D. Lynch, a Sullivan supporter, said last night that Sullivan had "a good chance of getting up in the high chair. The first thing he will do when he gets up they will be to fire Curry (City Manager John J. Curry '19). A couple of Sullivan's boys are running for manager, you know."