Council Seeks Reasons For Auto 'Crackdown'

Resolution Asks Administration to Explain All Particulars of Parking Difficulties

By Richard T. Cooper

The Student Council last night entered the realm of student parking by unanimously requesting in the strongest terms that the University release public explanation if its new "crack-down" policy, plus a detailed enumeration of regulations and penalties.

The Council's two-point opening maneuver anticipated four possible areas of University rationale, offering additional arguments at each point. The statement said:

"If one such rationale is the often reported necessity to keep the streets clear in the event of fire, or for the use of privileged University guests, why then is it not equally imperative that these streets be kept clear during the day? And furthermore:

Additional Arguments

"If such regulations are designed to permit the City of Cambridge to clean its streets, why then are the streets not cleaned and could not this be accomplished equally well by alternate side parking?"

"If the rationale is the University's feeling of obligation to act as an entity in a manner befitting a responsible citizen, does such an obligation justify the more stringent enforcement of the law on certain members of the larger community, ie the students, than on others. University fines, to which only students are subject, are higher than Cambridge fines.

"If it is indeed the rather delicate problem of University press relations and the City's unique ability to alter and enforce certain building codes and regulations which govern the University's policy, then we ask that this may be made known so that we may all face this common problem with a complete understanding of all the implications."

Veiled Reply

This last point was regarded as the Council veiled reply to a recent Administration dismissal of a previous statement by Council President Edward Abramson '57 that the City exerts pressure on the University through building codes.

The second part of the Council statement not only called on the Administration to "state in detail the regulations and penalties to which all students will be subject," but demanded explanation of the "designated punitive action which will follow the violation of each of these regulations."

"We want published, not arbitrary law," Abramson said, to which Vice-President Merom Brachman '58 added, "purely for the students' protection."

University Has Obligation

The Council's policy was, according to Abramson, predicated on the belief that every student has a right to own a car, and that the University has a corresponding obligation, within reasonable limits, to provide parking facilities.

In other action, an almost evenly divided Council bit and chewed its way through extensive amending of a bill designed to replace the "Domestic Scholarship" program.

As finally accepted, the bill established a Fellowship program for financing student "projects" for study of an international or domestic nature. The projects must "benefit the Harvard community in a public way." Awards will be made by a committee of deans, housemasters, faculty, senior tutors, and Council members.

Heart of the split was the question of emphasis on the international scene.