No Parietal Enforcement --Wigg Sophs

Dean Watson Says 'Difficulty Present'

After a delay of nearly a month, a night watchman was assigned to Wigglesworth Hall last week in order to maintain the parietal regulations there as they are maintained in the Houses.

Until last week, there had apparently been general disregard for parietal rules. As several Wigglesworth sophomores said, "Parietal rules don't mean a thing here."

Dean Watson, is commenting on the situation, said however, that "the rules applying to Wigglesworth have been exactly the same as the rules applying to the rest of the Houses." He added that "the situation was not easy to control."

Lee E. Preston, Jr., resident tutor from Dunster House, said that most of the confusion arose from "the incomplete working out of minor jurisdictional problems."

No Conflicts Possible

Dean Watson pointed out that there was no possible conflict in areas of control between the freshman dean's office and the upperclass authorities. He said that the freshman dean was in no way officially connected with the administration of Wigg Hall.

Nevertheless, in a general survey on Wigglesworth Hall last night it appeared that very few residents had been informed about the new night watchman in G-entry. Lowell House students provided the only exception to this uninformed status, since Elliot Perkins '23, Master of Lowell House, had sent a letter to all his students informing them of the new watchmen.

Asked about the apparent violations of the parietal rules in Wigglesworth, Perkins said, "We asume that most students will be honest with us. 'Big Brother' has no place in Cambridge," he added.

The general situation did not appear to be changed very much as of last week. After his first weekend of duty at Wigglesworth, night supervisor John L. Norman reported a total sign-in of seven couples.