Fly Club May Sell Lot For Commuter Center

University Negotiates for Valuable Vacant Lot Bordering on Mt. Auburn, Plympton Sts.

By Robert H. Neuman

A high-ranking University official revealed yesterday that Harvard is negotiating with the Fly Club to purchase the land behind its clubhouse and adjacent to Lowell House.

At the same time, it is understood that the new Commuter Center will be erected on that land, which borders on Mt. Auburn and Plympton Sts., once it is purchased.

The same source, who requested that his name not be used, said "You don't expect a valuable piece of grass like that to remain unused, do you?" He stated that the University definitely wanted to construct "'a major building" there.

At present, however, the Fly Club still owns the land, but Thomas Whiteside '32, a Trustee of the Club, admitted that the University had recently begun negotiations for its purchase. He added that no definite agreement had been reached yet.

"If the University has a valid use for the land," Whiteside said, "then we will sell. We are practically a part of the University, and certainly ought to give it first option on the land."

Business Men Rejected

It was learned that private business men had tried in the past to buy the land from the Club for an apartment house, but the bid was rejected.

In a report to the Board of Overseers three weeks ago, a top-level Overseers committee recommended that the University build a "House without beds" to replace the antiquated Dudley Hall. It is known that blueprints for the projected Center have been discussed in Dudley, and that the commuters have been promised a new building as soon as possible.

Lawrence T. Perera '57, president of the Fly Club, said yesterday that "in view of the University's need to expand in the Cambridge area, we feel that such a sale of land, which isn't being used for anything at present, is justified, although we hate to see it go."