Dartmouth Rugby Team Shuts Out Crimson, 18-0

For the last couple of years the football team has compiled mediocre records while the rugby and soccer teams have done quite a lot of winning. This year things seem to be different. The football team is being called "the sleeper of the Ivy League," the soccer team has dropped five straight, and on Saturday the rugby team suffered its biggest margin of defeat since the war in losing to Dartmouth, 18 to 0.

The Indian ruggers scored four tries (rugby's touchdowns) against the Crimson, and they left the distinct impression that it would only have cost a little energy to score several more. They ran faster, tackled harder, passed better, and even showed a sounder knowledge of which rules they could safely break.

It took the Big Green slightly less than five minutes to score their first try, and they narrowly missed a penalty kick (good for three points) before that. The Crimson's first serious threat came midway through the second half, when they got within a few yards of the Dartmouth goal line. As on every other occasion when the home team pressed, the Indians punted their way safely back down field.

Outplayed as the losers were, they did show a distinct desire to keep the score down. At the start the defense was sloppy, but in the second half the Crimson was fighting hard, and playing better than it had previously this season. Harvard-Dartmouth Football Game Data   H  D First downs  13  10 Rushing yardage  207  46 Passing yardage  21  125 Passes attempted  8  16 Passes completed  3  8 Passes intercepted by  1  1 Punts  6  6 Ave. dist. of punts, yds.  42  41 Number of fumbles  3  2 Fumbles lost  0  1 Number of penalties  5  2 Yards penalized  35  30 Runback of punts, yds.  26  106