Untried Crimson Will Face Jumbos In Season Opener This Afternoon

Tufts Fans Expected To Invade Harvard Square at 1 p.m.

By Bernard M. Gwertzman

When asked about his team's chances this afternoon, Tufts' President Nils Y. Wessell said emphatically, "We'll win!" Nobody has thought of asking President Pusey that same question, for at sophisticated Harvard this week, interest in today's game has been so slight that any visible concern has missed the eye of most observers.

But only a few miles away in Medford, the tension has been almost unbearable. Ever since the Tufts-Harvard game was announced last year, Jumbo fans have been quietly holding their breaths, waiting anxiously for the great day.

The great day has finally come, and Tufts' energy will be bursting all over the Harvard scene from about one o'clock on.

This weekend, which will only begin for Harvard men after today's morning classes, began at Tufts on Thursday night with a giant pep rally on the Medford campus.

Yet, no matter how much Harvard may scoff at Tufts' "gung-ho-ism", there is the incontrovertible fact that Tufts has a good football team and one that is rated at least equal to Lloyd Jordan's Crimson eleven.

Strong Backs

The Jumbos are strong in the back-field, where their co-captains Norm Wright and Dave Wells are two of the best in the area, and as far as anyone knows, perhaps in the East. Weighing some 200 pounds, Fullback Wright is made to order for Coach Harry Arlanson's power T-Formation. He is fast, and can smash into the line. He was named to the All New England team last year.

Wells, perhaps one of the best break-away runners around, may be Tufts' most dangerous threat this afternoon. He was the second highest scorer in New England last year with 73 points, on 12 touchdowns and one extra point, and he had four touchdowns on runs of more than 65 yards.

In addition, quarterback Ralph Thompson, only 5-7 but nevertheless a good ball handler, and Paul Abrahamian, a freshman back at Harvard in 1953, fill out the very well-balanced group.

But Harvard lacks no experience in its backfield, what with seniors Matt Botsford, Tony Gianelly, and Jim Joslin, as well as junior Walt Stahura all playing together for the first time in Coach Jordan's new A-Formation.

If this formation, in reality a T, with an overbalanced line, works out, there may not be any better backfield in the Ivy League. But Harvard fans can remember the inauspicious first game in 1954 when Harvard couldn't hold onto the ball, fumbling every time it had possession, finally losing to UMass 13 to 7.

Botsford, the scrappiest, if not cockiest member of the quartet, will have the majority of the burden upon his shoulders today since he is the quarterback.

This will not be a new experience for Botsford, for as a sophomore he had to step into the tailback position left vacant by the great Dick Clasby. If Botsford can come through, a great deal of Jordan's problems may be solved. But if he can't, Babe Simourian, the very fast and agile senior will be given the opportunity.

Joslin, the left halfback and Stahura at right half, are both quick and strong. In practice sessions, they have looked very impressive, what with Stahura's excellent outside ability, and Joslin's hard-driving strength off tackle.

Gianelly Question Mark

The biggest unknown in the backfield is 214-pound Gianelly. He was well suited for the power play in the single wing, but whether or not he can adapt the speed necessary for the A-Formation will not be known until this afternoon.

In the lines, there is little to choose. Tufts has an advantage in experience with its first line made up of six juniors and one senior, but the Crimson's front wall is potentially the strongest in recent years, led by 207-pound Captain Ted Metropoulos.

At guard, Metro follows the pattern set two years ago by Tim Anderson, and continued by Bill Meigs last season. He is strong, and can be very tough on defense. The other guard is a very promising sophomore named Hal Anderson. Standing 6-3, and weighing 218 pounds he will be very hard to push around.

Another tough sophomore named Bob Shaunessy, a hulk you will not forget for a long time, will start at left tackle, and sophomore Pete Briggs may very well start at the other tackle, unless junior Dave Schein beats him out.

The two weakest positions last year are again sore spots this season. Without much in experience at ends, Jordan brought former quarterback Phil Haughey in to play the position left vacant. In pre-season practice, Haughey has been very encouragaing to the coaching staff, but he is known to be fragile, and an injury would really hurt the Crimson. Tom Hooper will play the other end.

Steady and dependable Mary Lebovitz will be the center. He is fully recovered from his broken leg last season