Prof. Slichter, Harris Assess U.S. Economy

Professors Debate Government Policy

In a report published today, Sumner H. Slichter, Lamont University Professor, described the Eisenhower administration's economic policy as "solid and realistic," while Seymour E. Harris, professor of Economics, made "some reservations" about the present prosperity.

In "The Review of Economics and Statistics," an Economics Department journal edited by Harris, nine economists assessed "the Economics of Eisenhower."

Harris asserted that although there has been much "prosperity" during the past three years, rising unemployment, instability of the dollar, and greatly increased personal debt pose still unsolved problems for the Administration.

Slichter said that Harris "failed to discuss important aspects" of Eisenhower's policy, including reform of the Council of Economic Advisors, tax reform, farm policy, and foreign trade policy. He praised the Administration's management of the budget and said that although "growth of indebtedness should be carefully watched," it does not mean that present prosperity is "sham."

Another economist taking part in the symposium, Nathaniel Goldfinger of the AFL-CIO, sharply attacked the president's economic policy for its "dogmatic insistence on reducing governmental economic and social activities."