Cambridge-Oxford Team May Compete Locally

Race H-Y Track Squad

By Philip M. Boffey

A combined Harvard-Yale track team will probably meet Oxford and Cambridge late this Spring in the resumption of a series which died out five years ago.

Although negotiations have not yet been completed, the meet is scheduled to be run in this country, and may be held here in Cambridge around Commencement week. The visitors would probably also compete against a combined Cornell-Princeton squad.

The resumption of the series was made possible when the Friends of Harvard track, a group of interested track alumni, agreed to cover the expense of a home-and-home series with the English schools. Traditionally, the meets have been held every other year, first in England, then in the United States. Harvard's share of the expenses for a four year period, which would include two meets, would amount to about $10,000.

Coach Bill McCurdy hailed the meet last night as "a very attractive thing for a track man to look forward to." Besides citing its importance in improving relationships between the two countries, he noted its value to the individuals involved. "Just traveling in a foreign country has a great educational value," he said, "and I think this is one reason why Harvard and Yale are interested in the series."

The rivalry began in 1921 and continued uninterrupted down to 1939, when the Second World War interfered. From then until 1949 the meet was not held, partly because of war problems, and partly because the universities involved could not come to an agreement.

After negotiations had fallen through for a 1947 meet, the English universities expressed interest in coming to this country in 1949, and the meet was held here late in June.