Professors Attribute G.O.P. Win To Popular Appeal of President

Anti-Adlai Sentiment Seen

Both Republican and Democratic members of the faculty joined yesterday in ascribing the Republican landslide to President Eisenhower's tremendous popularity, but some of them also noted a pronounced anti-Stevenson trend in the voting.

"Ike's victory was always in the cards," Democrat Samuel H. Beer, professor of Government, said, but he added that many voters were anti-Stevenson because a "reflective, thoughtful person is hard to understand."

Republican Robert Braucher, professor of Law, also noted a considerable anti- Stevenson sentiment. But he felt it was chiefly and egghead reaction to Stevenson's attempt to become a "baby-Kissing" candidate.

There was general disagreement on other factors influencing the vote. Braucher had the impression that the mid-East crisis brought out a number of Republican votes which might have gone uncast, and John Kenneth Galbraith, a Stevenson speech-writer, felt the crisis certainly aided the Republicans. But Arthur A. Maass, associate professor of Government, doubted that the crisis had much effect at all.

The Democrats took solace in the fact that Ike's victory seemed to be a personal, rather than a party, triumph. "The Democrats are still the majority party." Beer said.

Maass felt the election was a "clear indication that the people trust Ike as a leader, but have no confidence in the Republican party."