Facilities for Parking Inadequate, Survey of University Points Out

Professional Report Reveals Space Adequate For Only 54 Per Cent of Present Needs

By Bernard M. Gwertzman

The University's parking facilities can satisfy only 54 per cent of the present demand, a detailed professional study revealed yesterday, but the same report found "a definite opportunity for a substantial reduction of the parking problem for the next academic year."

In this carefully documented study of the University, the Parking Development Company said "a definite solution is available providing a positive approach is adopted with regard to method of operation, control of registration, issuance of permits and utilization of a small additional amount of available land."

In its report, the company warned that "no miracle can overnight create sufficient capacity for every person wishing to park at the University. Steps are being taken to reach this goal, but until it is reached, the available space must be rationed or allocated, based on true need."

To help present needs, it suggested increasing the number of spaces by 1,614, thus bringing the University's total to 4,329. This would be done by:

Making room for 468 more cars in the area north of Kirkland St.--making the total there, 1,499.

Assigning the University one side of the street on Oxford, Divinity, Quincy, and part of Prescott St.--making 205 spaces.

Tearing down existing frame structures in the area between Massachusetts Ave. and the Charles River--making 150 more spaces.

Creating 500 more spaces at the Business School lot and behind the Stadium. To facilitate transportation to the lot, from the Yard and Houses, the firm recommended a bus service to run from 6 p.m. to 1 a.m. every night. The buses would run on a 15-minute schedule.

Edward Reynolds, Administrative Vice-President, said that because of the public interest in the problem, the University was circulating the report before making its own analysis of the findings and recommendations. He emphasized that the report is advisory only, and that the University has not determined what action it will take.

The report outlined a plan of action by which the University could implement the suggested improvements by the fall of 1957. The annual cost of the additions would be about $150,000.