Administration Votes Longer Parietal Hours

Proposed Deadline of Midnight on Saturdays To Go to Full Faculty Meeting in January

By Bernard M. Gwertzman

The Administrative Board voted yesterday to extend Saturday night parietal hours from 11 p.m. until midnight in the Houses. At the same time, it granted permission for freshmen to entertain women from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, and until 8 p.m. on Saturday nights.

Those proposals will now go to the Faculty for the deciding vote. If approved at the Faculty meeting in January, the new rules will probably go into operation almost immediately.

In explaining the Board's decision yesterday, Dean Leighton said the proposal to extend parietal hours had "substantial but not complete agreement." He would not say who voted against the extension.

The midnight extension originated with the Student Council three weeks ago. It went from that body to an informal meeting of the Housemasters, and then to a meeting of the Committee on the Houses, headed by Dean Bundy, before coming to the Board yesterday.

Leighton said that in none of these groups was there unanimous approval of the Council's proposal, but in each case there was "substantial" affirmative feeling.

While most attention has centered on the Council's attempt to gain the extra hour in the Houses, the freshman Union Committee succeeded in gaining two long-sought extensions of freshman hours.

The Administrative Board decided, in Leighton's words, "to put the freshmen on the same basis as upperclassmen insofar as weekend afternoons are concerned." Thus it granted them 1-4 p.m. hours on Saturday and Sundays.

The Union Committee had asked for extension of Yard hours from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Friday and Saturday nights. However the Board would only give partial approval to this request granting the freshmen an 8 p.m. curfew on Saturday nights.

Leighton said that the Board felt it was too much of an imposition on freshmen without dates to have women in the dorms until 9 p.m., or even until 8 p.m. on Fridays.