Jordan Says Football Can Help Raise Support for College Drive

Simourian, Newell Win Prizes

Coach Lloyd Jordan urged last night that the 1957 football team take part in stirring up support for the recently announced Program for Harvard College.

Speaking before the varsity football dinner at Boston's Harvard Club, Jordan said, "Harvard has a great program for the future. We want to be part of it and number one in the Ivy League."

John L. Newell, Jr. '57, a center on this year's varsity football squad, was awarded the William LaCroix Trophy last night at the football dinner. The LaCroix Trophy is given each year to the member of the J.V. or varsity team who "best exhibits the qualities of enthusiasm, sportsmanship, and team spirit."

The Frederick Greeley Crocker Trophy was presented to John A. Simourian '57 for his "perseverance, hard work, and improvement" as quarterback of the 1956 team. This award is voted each year by the players on the football varsity.

The coach expressed his thanks to the "very fine" players on this year's squad. "The spirit before the Yale game was about the best I've seen at Harvard," he added.

Captain Ted Metropoulos of the 1956 eleven told the audience that "it was a distinct privilege to play the Ivy brand of football," and extended his best wishes to Tom Hooper, captain-elect of next year's team.

Prof. John H. Finley, Jr. '25, a member of the Faculty Athletic Committee, presented the theory that "football represents the essence of modern times." Today's football strategy "symbolizes the superimposition of the intellect on the physique which is the basic antithesis of our age," he claimed.

Other speakers on the program included Dean Leighton; Henry W. Clark '23, president of the Harvard Club of Washington, and Dr. Augustus Thorndike '17, president of the Boston Harvard Club.