Summer School Will Again Hold 3 Conferences at 1956 Session

Over 135 Courses Offered

The Summer School will renew its series of national three-day conferences again this summer, Director William Y. Elliott announced yesterday.

The Secretary and the Under-Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare, and leading figures in the television industry will lead the first conference dealing with the impact of television on American education and culture.

Critics and proponents of college General Education programs will discuss their value and effect on secondary education in humanities and sciences in another conference.

A third conference will discuss "The Little Magazine in America," and will bring together some of the leading educators and authors in the country.

Over 135 courses, covering 29 fields of study, a series of lectures, and extracurricular activities will fill out the summer program, which opens July 2.

Although the bulk of this program will be administered by the regular faculty, professors will also come from more than 20 leading colleges and universities in the United States and Europe. Johns Hopkins, M.I.T., Princeton, Yale, and Cambridge will be among those represented.

The Graduate School of Education will continue to offer its intensive six-week courses designed expressly for teachers. The program attempts to deepen and broaden teachers' knowledge of their own field.

A group of approximately 50 men and a few women from the Orient, Middle East, and Europe, including members of various parliaments, editors, artists, writers, and other cultural leaders will once more come together to form the International Seminar, a regular feature of the Summer School. Elliott also predicted that the student body will include a higher percentage of foreign students than the regular session.